Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What's in your garden?

Photobucket

Well I am excited, I thought I was done ordering some seeds this year but I started looking though the catalogs again... I knew I shouldn't but I did... Now I have some broccili rabe (sp?), ground husk cherries, Black pole beans, jelly melon, and some Honey Boat Delicata.

I really wanted the Rich Sweetness 132 from Bakers creek but they were sold out. I did find Emily over at Michiedo who was willing to share her seeds with me. YAY!!! She mailed me 3 seeds. Thanks you Emily! DS#2 will be over the top. Orange is his fav color and these are pretty (orange with orange stripes) little melons from the old soviet union. Check them out. I started in starter pots and one I will plant directly in the dirt just incase they like to be planted like that better. Melons don't usually like to have their roots messed with so planting directly in soil is best.


Photobucket

I also wanted to get these hardy Kiwi, it is a vine with tiny hairless kiwis. I think you leave over the winter and they come back. I "think" they grow like grapes. I was so sad I don't have the space for that this year... Maybe next year I will find a space for these? Maybe have a whole plot to these little guys with some strawberries growing underneath?


Photobucket

This is what is on my list (most are already in the ground or are started in the back room):



  • Herbs (pineapple sage, regular sage, dill, chives, rosemary, cilantro, lemon thyme, english thyme, greek oregano, and spicy oragano)


  • Lettuce - butter, Lettuce - mixed, spinach, Kohlrabi, mini bok choy, regular bok choy, swiss chard


  • carrots (3-4 different varities), broccili rabe, brussle sprouts, beets (2 kinds)

  • black beans - Cherokee trail of tears, lima beans- Dixie Speckled Butterpea Lima Bean

  • eggplant (two kinds), okra, bell peppers (2 kinds), tomatoes, ground husk cherries

  • Squash Butternut, Honey Boat Delicata, spaghetti, zuchini, yellow squash

  • Melons Rich Sweetness 132, Watermelon - 2 kinds, jelly Melons, cantaloupe

  • Community plots will have: Sweet potatoes potatoes, white yams, fingerlings potatoes, red potatoes, red onions, yellow onions, tomatoes, corn (2 kinds), beans (lots of bush beans), herb bed, butterfly garden, lots of editable flowers

What are you growing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment