Friday, April 15, 2011

Homemade Pizzas with Whole Wheat Honey Crust

Photobucket


I am not sure about you, but I think every night should be a pizza night. We love pizza at our house, but we all have our own likes and dislikes. For Example DS#1 does not like red sauce, DS#2 likes and dislikes change like the weather, I love veggie pizzas and DH likes everything on his pizzas. So how can you satisfy everyone so someone is not left unhappy? Have a make your own pizza night of course!


I have always wanted to try to make my own pizza dough but have always thought it to be too difficult. Then one day I was inspired (well kind of). I wanted pizza for dinner and we did not have a crust or pre-bought dough at home and the thought of dragging to boys to the store at 5:00 was not appealing in the least. Therefore I decided to make a challenge for myself to make my own dough. I looked at a few recipes and compared them. Basically you have flour, yeast, water and you can add some sweetener and oil if you choose. So this is the recipe I came up with.


Photobucket


Honey Whole Wheat Pizza Crust



  • 1 ½ cup warm water

  • 1 packet of yeast

  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil

  • 2 tablespoons of honey

  • 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt

  • 1 ¾ cup Organic Whole wheat flour

  • 1 ¾ cup Organic Unbleached White flour

Mix warm water and yeast packet together and let it bloom (about 10 min). (Hint if using packet of instant yeast you might not get a nice bloom). While that is doing its thing, mix the salt, and both flours together in a bowl. Make a reservoir in your flour. After 10 mins is up add oil and honey to water mixture, stir and pour into reservoir. Fold in flour from sides into reservoir until ball is formed. Knead the dough, place in bowl and cover with wet towel or plastic wrap. Let sit for 1-3 hours, then spilt dough into 4 balls, and cover and let sit for 30 mins. (Note: A warm place is a good idea for the bowls.) Spread out dough and add toppings. Cook in oven for 10 min.


Photobucket


Note: I used a pizza stone in my oven, so I set my oven to highest setting and let it preheat longer than normal (the stone takes longer to warm than the oven does). Sprinkled cornmeal on stone and then placed pizza on top. Cook for 10 min. Oh what yummy crunchy goodness. I have never been able to make my store bought dough come out where a slice did not droop, so my expectations in that area were low. This pizza crust had no drooping and was crispy throughout.


One con was it seemed that this dough was pretty dense around the edges. I will be experimenting with different flours and raising processed over the next few months. Or just coming up with a few dipping sauces to serve on the side. ;)

Toppings at our house last night included:

  1. Olive oil, turkey pepperoni, olives and mozzarella

  2. Olive Oil, Roasted mushrooms, onions, garlic cloves with havarti cheese

  3. Butter, pears, walnuts, blue cheese with a balsamic reduction drizzled over the top when finished

No comments:

Post a Comment