Friday, April 15, 2011

Homemade Deodorant

Photobucket

For personal and health reasons I choose to not use deodorant that contains aluminum. I have gone though a ton of the ones that you can buy in the store and have just never been pleased with the results. So a few years ago I decided to try to try homemade deodorant. I started using coconut oil for its antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, and antibacterial qualities and because it has a nice scent. But it was missing the keep me dry feeling. So I ordered some deodorant from and etsy friend and I it is perfect!! The last batch she made me is sweet orange and I absolutely love it. Though I love the orange smell and the uplifting qualities of orange essential oils, citrus oils can make an individual photo-sensitive. I am already fair skinned, so I usually burn fairly easily. I do not need to add anything that will make it worse. So I need to find a new scent that I love just as much as the orange and I can then order a summer batch of deodorant in that scent. Since everyone body chemistry works differently with essential oils I thought it would be best to try a few different essential oil blends on myself before I order. Therefore making a few small batches of easy homemade deodorant to add my mixtures to was necessary. I took:

  • 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil

  • 1 tablespoons baking soda

  • 1 tablespoon corn starch or arrow root

  • 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil


Mix the above all together. At this point you could divide this into two bowls, so you can experiment with different essential oil blends. For my essential oil blend I used 3 drops Lemongrass, 1/2 drop of peppermint, and 1 drop of frankincense. If I had tea tree oil I would have added it instead.

Photobucket

I have been saving a small empty travel size deodorant for just such an occasion as this. I scooped the mixture up and into container. Half of this mixture fits in the smaller travel size.

Photobucket

What I love about this is you can make small batches and try out different oil blends. The absolute best thing about this is that I know everything that went in my deodorant and I cook with it on an almost daily basis. :) Be warned though, coconut oil melting point is 72 degrees so you may have to put your deodorant in the fridge if you have a hot house or live in a hot area.

No comments:

Post a Comment